Tuesday

I make bread!

Guys!

When I was growing up, my mom didn't really bake.  She occasionally made peanut butter cookies, inevitably burned them, and we all had to claim they were "dark brown."

(I love you Mom and loved all the yummy tops of your dark brown peanut butter cookies.)

So, suffice it to say, I didn't learn to bake growing up.  I learned to cook.  And COOK I mean because we (the woman in my family) do NOT follow recipes well.

I digress.

So, now, all these years later, I bake. I bake!

I must say, though, Ted, generally, is the baker in our family.  Do you know baking is very scientific?  It is.  It's all about chemical reactions and beakers etc. etc.  Or, at least, about following a recipe. Ted, my industrious husband, is SO good at following recipes.  I am not.

I cook, not bake.  Remember?

So, knowing this scientific tidbit, I decided I would be as cool as my friend Cassie.  Cassie makes all the bread for her family.  She can do that because she has the magic scientific recipe, a Bosch, and the right bread pans.  And now, I do too!

Recently, excited by one of my many bread making forays, I posted a picture on my Instagram account of a beautiful, sliced loaf of bread.  I use my Instagram for my chatbooks.  It's my way of doing our family journaling and documenting.  But the response was kinda big so here is this, about making bread.



Before you start, I recommend using a Bosh mixer.  Yes, they're expensive.  But you can luck out like Ted did and find one on Craigslist for $100.  Or you can tell your husband that if he buys one for you you'll make this delicious bread for the rest of the Bosch's life and never buy store bought sandwich bread again, like Cassie did.  Either way, if you're considering buying a mixer, nix the Kitchen Aid and go with the Bosch.  I literally burned out the motor of my Kitchen Aid making this recipe, halved, 5 or 6 times.

To be fair, my Kitchen Aid still works (it makes whipped cream) and it was 7 years old.

Also, if you want to do it right, have the right pans.  These pans (see the link there, click it!) are the right pans.  End of story.  Get four.  Or get 2 now and 2 later.  I bought 2 of my own and then Cassie sent 2 to me as a housewarming gift after we moved to Kentucky.  She's an awesome friend.  Miss her a lot.  Oh but these pans!  They're the bomb-diggity.

Otherwise, I really have no secrets.  Ted grinds (manually, folks.  He's buff!) my whole wheat and it's fine and beautiful.  But I've also used course Hungarian whole wheat and it's good.  And I use bread flour because Cassie said so.  It's like, halfies on the whole wheat and bread flour.  Really, no secrets.  I follow the recipe.  4 loaves, 365 degrees, 21 minutes.  I do actually have the halved recipe but any monkey can halve a recipe so if you can't, ask a monkey for help. ;)

Recipe link here.  And the recipe is below:

Basic Bread Recipe
4 ½ cups warm water
1 cup sugar or honey
1 Tablespoon salt
½ cup vegetable oil
2 ½ Tablespoons yeast
10 – 13 cups bread or wheat flour (I use 11 cups in KY but used less in AZ... it's a humidity thing.  I like light loaves and it's a wet dough.)
Combine water, sugar, salt, oil, and yeast. Set aside for 5 minute or until foamy. Add flour until dough doesn’t stick to bowl. Knead in mixer for 10 – 13 minutes. The least amount of flour added makes a lighter, softer loaf. Let rise in pan until double or the size you want the finished loaf to be. Bake at 350-375 for 20 to 22 minutes.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Much like, if not exactly like, how Wes's mom makes homemade bread, In her Bosch, using some fresh ground flour, with pans like the ones you posted. It is very good bread and great for sandwiches. I could never duplicate it though. Now I know why.

And on another random note, Wes has used her Bosch for pizza dough and did not like it for that.

Kelly said...

I agree. I still use my kitchen aid for pizza dough but have to knead it the last bit on my own. The Bosch, in my opinion, is for 6+ cups of flour. My kitchen aid could handle about 5 before the bowl couldn't contain it well anymore for a hard knead.

Kelly said...

I agree. I still use my kitchen aid for pizza dough but have to knead it the last bit on my own. The Bosch, in my opinion, is for 6+ cups of flour. My kitchen aid could handle about 5 before the bowl couldn't contain it well anymore for a hard knead.

Emily Grant said...

Yum! I am totally with you on the Bosch! I've never had a kitchen aid because my mom had a Bosch and that's what I grew up with. It is so worth the investment!

Amy said...

The funny thing is, with the pizza dough, Wes felt like the Bosch didn't have a big enough capacity, which was strange to both of us because we know his mom used it for large amounts of bread dough.