Tuesday

On December.

I think often about wanting to blog.  More than that, I even have ideas about things I'd like to blog about.  But nothing so pressing as to come before the dishes, kitchen cleaning, and requisite laundry that are forerunners after the children are asleep. How about some tiny blog-let type thoughts?  Most of my current thoughts revolve around December.

I've worn the same necklace and earrings every December 15 since my husband and I were married.  Or, at least on the Sunday closest our anniversary.  I have tried to branch out, even selected other jewelry that looks better with my ensemble than my wedding jewelry.  But I can't shake it.  I have to wear it.  I'm not a terribly sappy or sentimental person but there is something about the necklace and earrings I was married in that feels so particularly special.  Let's be glad I have no burning desire to wear the dress each year.


Speaking of December, I'm about to turn 30.  Have I mentioned I had some sort of "I can DRIVE!" experience the other day?  So, in my mind, I'm still a teenager.  Do you ever have those experiences? - where you are amazed at something you've been doing over a decade and then realize that you're much older than you thought you were?  Forget the three car seats in the back, I can DRIVE!  Yeah, I'm not saying it was a normal thought.  But at any rate, I'm about to be 30.  I'm totally OK with that.  I'm not anti-aging.  But my 20s were rather spectacular as far as decades of my life go.  My married life alone (which spans a good majority of the decade) has been spectacular.  I still desperately love my husband and the three beautiful additions to our family over this time has rounded out my 20s in a way I hadn't even dreamed. 

I had this funny thought at one point in my life that it might be fun to be done having kids by time I was 30.  Then, before I was 50 for sure, all my kids would be grown and out on their own. And maybe it has happened.  But maybe it hasn't.  I have no concrete plans for any more kids but I don't discredit the thought entirely.  That is, by the way, a HUGE change from shortly after Simon was born.  So as far as "goals" I guess this one may not have been accomplished.  But maybe it has been.  That's the beauty in having no plan.  You may have already accomplished something and not even know it!

Did Christmas sneak up on anyone else?  Thanksgiving was late this year, yes?  I like to put my tree up the day after Thanksgiving and I like to be done Christmas shopping shortly after (if not before) that.  Cyber Monday has caused me to hold out a little longer than I used to.  But Thanksgiving was so late that I missed the proper transition.  I haven't even done many fun things with our kids.  To battle this reality, I have decided that once Gwenna is on winter break, we will begin one fun Christmas activity per day.  The activities range from Christmas/Winter movies to making snowman pizza to having a dinner picnic by the Christmas tree.  I've tried pretty hard to frequently remind them about the real reasoning of the season and I hope to keep that up.

By way of the reason of our Christmas season, I must say, one of my favorite parts of our children knowing Santa isn't real is that I don't have to lie my way out of things.  Mer accidentally comes across a present in our closet?  No big deal!  Nope, I don't have to say Santa brought it early.  I just let her know that if she rifles through my closet again, she won't get that or any of the other gifts.  Silly, I know, but I love that I don't have to make Santa fuss and Santa excuses.

OK, that's all for now.  Sad excuses for blog-lets.  But the best blog-lets I've ever done. 

1 comment:

Jewel said...

Oh, I love you.
And your wedding jewelry. It's very classy--perfect for you.
I know the feeling about the bloglets...I have all sorts of things I want to blog about, but then they involve downloading pictures...and that's where I lose my motivation 99% of the time.
And by the way, I'm having the same issue with this whole "late Thanksgiving" thing. I think I've only ended up accomplishing half of my typical Christmas traditions, which makes me sad, but what can ya do?
Have a magical, merry Christmas, my friend!