Tuesday

The Crowders and Food

I feel like updating about our eating habits.

I can't fully express how proud I am of Ted.  And how surprised I have been.  He has really stuck with his vegetarian (mostly vegan) eating.  He has lost 30 pounds, dropped nearly 2 pants sizes, and is doing so great. 

The girls and I have kept very well vegetarian with a few exceptions.  We all ate turkey on Thanksgiving and I tend to eat fish every time we eat out.  The girls and I eat cheese regularly so we're not vegan and sporadically eat other animal products sparingly.  I feel like this way of eating has helped me tremendously through my pregnancy.  I feel strong and healthy.  The girls never really ask for meat.

Occasionally I will get a craving for one thing or another.  We have had eggs for breakfast a couple times (the girls and I) and last week I just, for whatever reason, wanted ham.  So the girls and I had ham and cheese mini sandwiches on crackers for lunch.  I'm not strict like Ted is at all and if I have a craving for something, I normally follow it if it doesn't go away after a few days.

The highlight of my day today was finally "perfecting" Ted's chocolate chip cookie recipe with no dairy or eggs.  Woah.  It had been TOO long!  Anyone who has had Ted's orriginal cookie recipe or knows how much we love cookies will understand that going without them for the past few months was rough.  We'd tried egg replacer (a product that is powdered and acts similarly to eggs) but I hated it.  I finally figured out a great ratio of flax egg and unprocessed sugar... and, hooray, it's awesome.  

Our current favorites are:
Sloppy joes made with black beans and rice
Sorbet made out of smoothie
Banana ice cream with toasted pecans (not for me though since I am allergic to bananas)
Cheesy veggie soup (I serve Ted's before I add the cheese)
Baked southwest eggrolls - with black beans, brown rice, bell pepper, onion, corn, zucchini, seasoned and baked in tortillas
Pancakes - we have pancakes for breakfast easily 2-4 times a week.  I do dairy free, egg free pancakes that are fluffy and delicious.  We like regular, banana, oatmeal.  We also LOVE gingerbread waffles
Acorn squash - stiffed with veggies and wild rice
Felafel! - Alone, with cabbage salad, in a wrap, or a pita.  We love it.
Navajo tacos
Lots of combos of veggie soup

We have vegetables with every meal and I try to also make a side of veggies and fruit.  For instance tonight we had our main dish (the baked egg rolls) and even though they're chock full of veggies, we also had green beans, diced tomatoes, and sliced apples.  Last night we had a chickpea soup that had yellow carrots, green beans, and mushrooms in it but we also had fresh pineapple on the side.  The more variety, the more colors, the better.

We eat well.  It took a while to get into a groove of being able to easily meal plan and shop but it's just as through nothing has changed now.  We try to eat unprocessed-to-lowly-processed foods still, low sugar, and no animal products when we can manage.  It's great, I love it, and we're in a good place with our routine now.

No comments: