Thursday

And a Little Child Shall Lead Them

I was excited to be able to read the text of a talk given my Boyd K. Packer, "And a Little Child Shall Lead Them" from General Conference this past weekend. It really moved me. I felt like many of the talks given were geared toward the topic of children and family. I appreciated that because I went into conference hoping to find strengthening words on how to be a better parent. I was certainly blessed in that desire! But in the same turn, it worries me that so many talks did speak on children and families. Families are under attack and I'm sure the reason we were instructed in this way is to strengthen our families.

Here are some of my favorite excerpts from Elder Packer's talk and then my thoughts.

“Children are an heritage of the Lord: and … happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them.” Psalm 127:3, 5

...

The ultimate end of all activity in the Church is to see a husband and his wife and their children happy at home, protected by the principles and laws of the gospel, sealed safely in the covenants of the everlasting priesthood. Husbands and wives should understand that their first calling—from which they will never be released—is to one another and then to their children.

One of the great discoveries of parenthood is that we learn far more about what really matters from our children than we ever did from our parents. We come to recognize the truth in Isaiah’s prophecy that “a little child shall lead them.”

...

Family time is sacred time and should be protected and respected. We urge our members to show devotion to their families.

...

Fathers and mothers, next time you cradle a newborn child in your arms, you can have an inner vision of the mysteries and purpose of life. You will better understand why the Church is as it is and why the family is the basic organization in time and in eternity.

*****

I'm grateful for these words. They helped me remember that my children were given to me to care for, straight from Heaven. They are perfect still and Elder Packer's talk caused me to consider on the ways I can be more like them. Their excitement for small things, their ability to soak in all learning - worldly and spiritual, their affections. My little girls are stuck with me and I'm grateful that they are because I have learned, and did realize early on in Gwenna's life, that I have much more to learn from them than they from me.

No comments: