Thursday

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

When Ted is gone (which is, well, a lot) I like to make simple suppers. If I already have shredded chicken, one of my favorites is Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole. It's just so yummy! Here's the recipe I use:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded
2 packages Rice-a-ronie (or uncle Ben's) wild rice, cooked according to pkg directions
1 can water chestnuts, diced (I buy the diced ones and quarter them)
2 cans french cut green beans - drained

Mix that all together.

In a separate bowl (for ease and consistency) mix the sauce:
1 can cream of something soup - I've used chicken & celery with great results. I make my own cream of chicken soup so it's a nice way to control what goes in
1/2 c. light mayonaise
1/2 c. light sour cream
1/2 c. shredded yellow cheese - whatever you like, medium cheddar and colby are both yummy

Mix it all together, put it in a lightly sprayed 9x13 pan. Cook at 325 for 20-30 minutes, until bubbling. Makes enough for 6-8 people, generous servings, depending on how big your people are :)

Gwenna doesn't like the water chestnuts but for me, they MAKE the meal. So crunchy and yummy. If I don't pick out all her "crunchies" she's not too happy. But otherwise, my kids will eat this before it's even baked. Sounds gross, right? There's nothing raw, though.

Based on recipe found here

No comments: