Monday

What we're eating

Tis the season for resolutions.  I have none.  I don't really believe in them.  If you want to do something, start today, don't put it off.  I am a fan, though, of the reflection that people do in preparation for the new year and sometimes a big event, like a new year, inspires this.  So, I get the resolution, I just don't really subscribe to it anymore.

I used to though. The last resolution I made, I think, was with Ted, new years 2010.  It was shortly after Meredith was born and my second consecutive year of giving birth. Our resolution was for me NOT to get pregnant.  Awesome, right?

Many people have resolutions to lose weight or just to get more fit.  In our family, over the past couple months, I've been working on taking out the processed foods and planning meals of real food - whole ingredients.  Things that spoil, things with few components, and the like.  We're not perfect but we try.

Since it's that time of year when people are vowing to be healthier anyway, I imagine the way we've been trying to eat is sort of in line with those goals.  In light of that, here is last week's menu and this week's menu.

Last week:

  • Blackened salmon (Salsa Brava's recipe, in Flagstaff) over wild rice with peas, fresh sliced pears
  • Minestrone soup - family recipe
  • Tuna burgers and steamed broccoli
  • Roasted veggie enchiladas - we use the half corn, half flour tortillas. We prefer the Tortilla Factory brand over any other and use up a whole package with this recipe.
  • White turkey chili over cornbread waffles - this recipe for waffles is big.  We make it all and freeze half and it makes enough for 2.5 meals.

I also made some baked oatmeal Saturday night and we ate it Sunday and Monday morning.  My adjustments to the recipe: use 1/3 c. brown sugar, 1 t. cinnamon, and 1/4 c butter with 1/4 c applesauce.  I didn't add fruit this time and we microwaved it each morning and added a little warmed milk.

This week:

  • Lemon tortellini (add extra spinach, no reason not to!) and steamed green beans
  • Crockpot whole chicken (use the bones for stock) and mashed cauliflower
  • Beans & cornbread (I made mine from scratch - a recipe from a friend that we love)
  • Lemon chicken orzo soup made with homemade stock
  • Sweet potato hash with an egg over top - use less bacon (3 pieces is fine!)
  • Shepherd's pie - wI use just 1 lb. of ground turkey and it's plenty.  I like to make big casseroles or pots of food on Saturday because then we have lunch on Sunday right when we get home from church (or last year, right before we go to church)
Ted will have to make the shepherds pie on Saturday since Gwenna and I will be in Chandler meeting my brand new nephew.  SO excited!!  If you're looking for some menu ideas, hope this helps you out.  



No comments: