Wednesday

The BEST use for leftover Halloween candy. Ever.

Rarely do really amazing things happen in my life.  I mean, I'm the first to admit I'm TOTALLY blessed, great things happen all the time.  But this?  I'm almost afraid to admit how amazing this is for fear that I'll jinx it.

Meredith potty trained herself.

Meredith potty trained herself!

Meredith potty trained herself?!

Saturday she turned 2.  Sunday she started boycotting diapers.  Monday the potty came out of storage.  Tuesday she had about the same amount of accidents as successes but went #2 in the potty twice (which is something I hear kids normally struggle with.  I say "I hear" because Gwenna was pooping in the potty 2 months before she could pee in there with any amount of regularity). Wednesday Meredith had 4 accidents before her nap, woke up after her nap dry, went to straight to the potty, and spent the rest of the night dry.

And oh, OH, did she wail when she had to put a pull up on before bed.  We're not putting her in pull ups for naps since we know for sure she can hold it for at least 2 hours.  But tonight she insisted she needed to wear panties to bed but I just don't want to go there yet.  Not even Gwenna can stay dry all night.  We put her in a pull up and then put her panties OVER her pull up.

Here's the kicker, Meredith will stop whatever she is doing and run to her potty to do her bussiness.  Then she will lift the lid, take out the potty bowl, and bring it to us.  "Ook! Pee-pees! Andy, now!?" - Let me interpret.

"Look, I urinated in this small bowl.  Now I deserve a piece of candy!"

I know Meredith is reward driven.  She would rather do something for something than do something for nothing - since she's human.  When the potty came out I emptied all the Sweet Tarts, Smarties, and Skittles from my daughters' Halloween bags into a jar.  Going #1 gets 1 piece of candy and #2 gets you 2 pieces.  Simple enough.  


The trick is to give candy to Meredith AND Gwenna.  This keeps Gwenna encouraging Meredith and stops the crying because only one of them is getting candy.

Also, it uses up the candy that no one was eating otherwise.

Aside from the candy, I have to say, at no credit to me, Meredith is one of the most remarkable people (under 3 feet and above) I have ever met.  She is so determined and driven.  She made the decision to use the potty and that diapers were yucky and that seems to be that.  When we tried to put a fake pull up on her Monday night (a diaper already fastened and pulled on rather than put on lying down) she threw a fit the likes of which I have only seen 3 or 4 times before.  When she decided she was done, she meant it.

I am excited to see where this determination gets her later in life.  She may hit walls head on with her stubbornness but then again, she may also just bore right through them.




p.s. - Happpy Thanksgiving, friends.  
I guess you can assume what I'm thankful for this year.  
... So much for being bucked right off the horse!

1 comment:

Heather said...

WOOT! that is amazing. I guess when they are ready, they are READY. Here's to no more diapers! (totally jealous btw, a happy jealous.) :)