Thursday

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

My daughter is going to be 3 in 17 days. Just ask her, she'll tell you. I'm excited for her to turn 3. She'll do many new and exciting things as a 3 year old. And in 17 days she will start working on her 4th year. (Hold the phone... is that true? It is true!)

There are some things I'm excited about and some that I'm not too excited about and some that are downright ugly.

I'm excited that Gwenna is going to start Primary, become a Sunbeam, as a 3 year old. It's just 5 short months after her birthday. Kind of uncanny being that she started nursery just yesterday. (If just yesterday mean 20 months ago, I guess that's actually true.)

I'm not excited that in a few short weeks her time out sentence will go from just 2 minutes to 180 long, painstaking seconds. What a difference a day makes!

And the ugliest thing is that my almost (practically is already) 3 year old doesn't even want to fell asleep on her own any more. It was one thing when we moved from Flagstaff last year... it was a big change and I understood her not wanting to go to sleep on her own and I got that it was tough to stay asleep all night in a new place, amid all the newness of life. But she's nearly 3. She should have this down now. And a 3 year old that doesn't want to go to sleep on her own? That's ugly.

I'm very excited that she has the 3 year old comprehension and motor skills. She enjoys roller skating, rising her bike on family bike rides, trying to write er letters and picking out letters she knows every where we go, singing (sometimes muddled) versions of almost every song she ever hears ... 3 is fun. I like it.

But a bad part of 3 is the height + the lack of restraint. She can climb on the counters like it's nothing, believes she can climb out of the bath tub all by her wet-little-self, and she scales the chicken wire to plunge head first into a sea of gardeny green in the form of zucchini and pumpkin.

Regardless of the bad and ugly things, I could not be more excited to have a 3 year old. Besides, for 4 short months, I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old, which makes it seem like I know what birth control is.

1 comment:

Mary Anne said...

Oh my gosh that last sentence...Kelly...you crack me up. I can hardly believe three is just right around the corner! But it is a fun age. I am honestly in love with *most* of the changes happening in our almost three year old. You put it so perfectly. She roller skates?? Because that's incredible. Pretty sure I never even thought to get Sadie some of those! You are such a great mom.