Tuesday

salsa!

I couldn't come up with a more creative title for this post than the obvious.

We've been busy making yummy things lately. Yesterday it was veggie pizza, tomato salsa and tiger butter cheese cake... just not on the same plate. The day before it was blackened salmon tacos with mango salsa. Needless to say we've been in a spicy frame of mind. I guess that's not entirely true since I'm a total WOOS and keep the level of spice in my salsa relatively low.

Making all this good food has inspired me to share. But since I can't share with the whole class due to amount and distance, you'll have to settle for the recipes.

I choose SALSA! Today I will share my two favorite salsa recipes.

First up: Mango Salsa!

This recipe is from the Salsa Brava cookbook and was first made for us by our neighbors. It is amazing. If you like fruit salsa and if you like mango, there is no reason in the world not to try this. Your tastebuds, your stomach, your husband, and anyone within chip reaching distance will thank you.

This needs to be doubled. You can try it without doubling it, but really, it should be doubled.

2 mangoes, peeled and diced
1/4 c. diced RED bell pepper
1/4 c. diced red onion
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
Juice of 3 limes
2 jalapenos, cleaned (seeded) and diced
salt or pepper to taste

Combine all. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.

Ok, now here are Kelly's notes. If (when!) you double this, I would recommend using no more than 3 jalapenos (even for the bold) because the spice will out do the sweetness of the mangoes. Also, only up the limes to 4. More than that and it'll be too lime-y.

Next on the list: Freezer tomato salsa

This recipe was given to me by my friend Katie. Shortly after Gwenna was born, we went to Katie's house for an afternoon of Salsa making... and it totally did NOT take the whole afternoon. Granted, a food processor makes this recipe much faster (think 30 minutes of prep rather than an hour and a half) but it's worth it even if you don't have one.

8 c. diced, seeded tomatoes (this is about 8-9 on the vine size tomatoes)
2 med. green bell peppers, chopped
2 lg. yellow onions, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
3/4 c. tomato paste (1, 6 oz. can)
2/3 c. condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1/2 c. white vinegar
2 T. sugar
2 T. salt
1 T. cayenne pepper
4 1/2 t. garlic powder OR 3-4 cloves garlic, minced

To seed your tomatoes, cut each in 8ths and then take out the juicy, seedy part so just the moist meat part of the tomato is left. Discard.

Now, either cut all the veggies to the size you want with a knife or hand chopper OR be awesome and put it in your food processor ( - in batches, it's a lot. I think I did 5 batches.) and pulse it 6-8 times or until it's to your desired chunkiness.

In a large saucepan (at least 5 qts.) combine all ingredients and give it a gooooood stir. Bring to a boil, slowly, making sure nothing on the bottom it burned. Reduce heat (I boil at 6-7 heat and simmer at a 3) and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring often. When done cooking, pour into small freezer (tupperware) containers. Cool at room temp for about an hour. Cover and freeze up to 3 months. Defrost in refrigerator.

Kelly's notes - There are a few ingredients you can play with in this, but just the amounts. You can add more or less jalapenos, cayenne, or garlic. It's a nice balance as it is but I add a little more cayenne and a little less garlic, about 3 heaping teaspoons of garlic powder.

If you don't freeze this, it won't be as good. We seriously freeze all 5 containers (it makes about 10 cups) and then take 1 out after two days and defrost it on the counter because it has to defrost fast enough for our tastebuds not to start a mutiny. Ted and I made it last Christmas and gave it to a lot of our family. Two of Ted's brother's polished off a whole container (as in one container each brother) in one sitting. It's very tasty.

So I hope you enjoy making salsa and that you will try out these recipes. The mango salsa whips up quickly and is great with fish, chicken, quesadillas, or just tortilla chips. The freezer salsa's prep time is longer (it makes about 5 times as much) but is intended for long-term consumption rather than noshing out immediately. This is the time to take advantage of the fleeting summer produce and I sure hope you will. Happy cooking!

5 comments:

camilla said...

mmmm. I have a good recipe for mango salsa. But that freezer salsa is totally something I need to make when baby #3 decides to love me. lol. That's awesome!

Nicole said...

Hey, why didn't I get any salsa??

kelly said...

Seriously, Niki?!

People who got salsa only got salsa for Christmas. I'll get it for you this year if you want it that bad.

Janina Jones said...

I am quite excited to try out these recipes. Thanks.

katie said...

i'm so excited that my recipe (not that i created it...) has made it onto your blog. i'm keeping an eye out for mango sales so we can try out that recipe.
p.s. did you know that we started a blog? rkvargafamily.blogspot.com