Thursday

More recipes!

Today I made bread.

Don't choke on your gum or spit out your water, those of you who know my baking abilities. I really did make bread. And it turned out yummy and light AND it was whole wheat... so how is this possible? I had help. My friend Cori walked me through every step.

Several months ago, during the sick month, my friends Heidi and Cori brought my family a really yummy dinner and Cori made bread. Big mistake. I think I've hounded her regularly to teach me how ever since. Due to the fact that Ted will soon be returning to school full time (5 days left - eek!) I knew I had to do it while there was still available childcare. So Cori gave me a bread tutorial today.

In response to her kindness, I have agreed to send her several of my favorite recipes. Since I have to type them up anyway, I thought I'd do it on my blog so all my friends can enjoy.

First up - Brownies!

This recipe was given to me by my friend Jane and it's GOOD! It makes the kind of brownies everyone can enjoy. Soft on the inside, kind of that crusty top that is a little flaky. It's awesome.

1 c. butter
2 t. vanilla
3 eggs
2 c. sugar (I use closer to 1 1/2 and it's still awesome)
1 1/3 cup flour (1 1/2 if you're at a high altitude - read: Flagstaff)
1/2 t. baking powder
2/3 t. salt
2/3 c. cocoa


Melt the butter and pour it into a large mixing bowl. Add all the other ingredients. (I listed the ingredients in the order I like to add them.) Pour into a greases 9x13 pan. Bake 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.

If you want to make something REALLY killer, add half the batter and then two full fize symphony bars with toffee. Cover with the remaining batter. Cook longer, around 45 minutes or until the corners start to pull away from the pan really well. These need to be cooled on a cooking wrack (in the pan) or a good two hours and then refrigerated just as long and can then be cut. For best results, keep covered and refrigerated.

Second - Molasses cookies

This recipe was contributed to the archives by a former roommate and current friend, Hilaree. I have no idea what she got it but it is classic, classy, and yummy!

3/4 c. shortening
1 c. white sugar (plus more for rolling the cookies)
1/4 c. molasses
1 egg
2 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cloves
1/2 t. ginger (I use closer to 1/4 t. because I'm not a huge ginger fan.)
1/2 t. salt

Cream shortening, sugar, molasses. Beat in the egg. Sift (mix with a whisk) the dry ingredients and add to the creamed mixture in 2 or 3 pours. The dough will come together piecey. Take clumps and roll them in your hand until you have quarter size balls. Roll in sugar. Bake at 375 for 7-9 minutes. Allow to cool for a minute or two on the baking sheet and then remove to the cooking wrack.

Notes: When you measure your shorening, I encourage you to use a 1/4 cup and then a 1/2 cup and then put the molasses in the 1/4 c. you used for the shortening so it will just sliiiiiide right out. Also, these cookies are (in my opinion) meant to be soft in the middle. The will get a little brown on the bottom because of the molasses. They are SO GOOD cold or even frozen. Hilaree used to freeze bags of these and they would mysteriously disappear. ... Don't know how...

So I know my blog has been a lot of baking and cooking and the like lately. I hope you'll try out some of the recipes because I promise I wouldn't out anything less than my favorites on my blog. I'll be back to regular posts soon. Or I won't because it's my blog and I can do anything I want. That's the beauty of a blog.

1 comment:

Amy Sprinkle said...

You do whatever you want!

Yesterday I saw a guy in a wheelchair crossing the road and it made me think of Ted's story about his dad crossing the road and getting stuck. Then I imagined a guy in a wheelchair getting pulled behind a racing car honking a horn. I laughed. I'm glad Ted shared that story with us.