Wednesday

i needed to hear this when i read it.

"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly."
- Thomas S. Monson

I sure love my little girl a lot. But when she's had three bloody mouth injuries in one week, an eye gash, several baths in one day, has black feet because I can't find time to clean the floors because she' so busy dirtying them... well, through all that it's hard to remember that I'm going to miss these days.

Until, like the other day, we watch hours of home movies from induction (birth!) day on and I see how she was, seconds ago, so small, so in need of my constant help, and then I blinked. And she' a walking (gibberish) talking big girl who thinks she can run... a cuddly lap princess who loves soft blankets and her cabbage patch doll (thanks, Grandma!) and her papa coming through the door at the end of the day.

Oh I'm so grateful for black feet, melted milk duds in her hair, tiny teeth in her tiny mouth, no matter how much they cause her to wail as they break through her little pink gums. She is my favorite part of my favorite day and the best part of my worst day.



... Especially when she's cute like that.

But, really, even when she's like this:


And it doesn't happen often (she really wanted banana cream pie off her papa's plate when this was taken and this girl takes pie SERIOUSLY) but I'm really glad I caught it on camera to remember forever and ever.

She makes me SO happy. Dirty fingerprints and all.

7 comments:

Suzanne and Davey Maughan said...

LOVE that last face. that is what Hayley looks like when we feed her ice cream or something sugary and she isn't getting the next bite fast enough. And when the bowl is gone and we have to tell her "all done", we get approximately 2-3 minutes of a tantrum from her until she forgets about it and walks away to play with something else. We will miss these days, wont we? It's just hard to think about on the really hard days.

Amy Sprinkle said...

I would make that face too if someone was with-holding banana cream pie from me. (In case you didn't know, banana cream pie is my favorite).

kelly said...

Amy that makes me happy, because we had banana cream pie for my birthday last year when you and Wed were here to celebrate with us. :) Good times.

Jewel said...

I love your perspective. It reminds me to appreciate this time. Thank you!!

The Browns said...

So cute! And so true!! Gwenna is such a sweetie! Love the pictures!!

Heather said...

I was just catching up on your recent posts and am jealous that you already have a boy name picked out. Help! We are stuck around here and I have 2 to come up with. I hope your next babe is as cute as Gwenna. :)

Dusty + Mary Anne said...

oh to always have such perspective. i think they call that wisdom, but i wouldn't really know.

how i need to treasure even the new teeth coming in. all to soon it will be over. sniff sniff.