Friday

yeah, this is going to work out just fine.

From the time Gwenna was born I have sung to her. A mom and daughter favorite is the Mormon classic, "I am a Child of God." I remember shortly after Gwenna was born, singing it directly to her, changing the words a little.

"You are a Child of God
And He has sent you here,
Has given you and earthly home,
With parents, kind and dear."

It can easily still bring tears to my eyes to remember rocking her as a tiny baby and singing this to her, knowing full well in my heart that it was true. The Lord sent this tiny baby to our family. We sure do love her.

Fast forward to about 10 months later.

Today as Ted, Gwenna, DJ, and I were leaving Target, DJ got a little riley in the car and was too loud for Gwenna's liking. He realized what he'd done, put her pacifier in her mouth and then softy, in the back of the car I heard,

"I am a Child of God
And He has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home,
With parents kind and dear...."

A few moments later Gwenna was silent and soon drifted off to sleep for a much needed nap.

I was kind of nervous about how Gwenna was going to respond to DJ. She is really hit and miss with people in her space and in her home, even and especially relatives. You never know how she's going to respond. But somewhere between DJ's rileyness and his statement, "Hey, I think she likes that" while he was singing I realized, yeah, this is going to work out just fine. She is enthralled with her cousin she never met before today.

I'm sure, years from now, it will be another moment that will easily bring tears to my eyes but for now it's just the reassurance I needed to cement in my mind and my heart that this was a good decision and it's going to be a great summer.

4 comments:

Dusty + Mary Anne said...

ah!!! so i'm behind on your blog because i'm still not used to the fact that you're private and you're still on my blog roll as NOT private so i just thought you hadn't updated. but i've done some reading and OH GOODNESS! i'm so excited for you guys! congrats. hope you are feeling well. good luck with your nephew...i have a feeling you will make it a lot of fun for him, and it will probably be something he always remembers. lucky boy.

'Garrett's mom' said...

That is so darn cute!! I love it!!

The Browns said...

That is awesome!

Heather said...

Sweetest thing ever. I like DJ already.