Wednesday

how we've been.

It's been a long couple of weeks without the computer. But I've learned.

I can live without:
Facebook
Blogging
Reading other people's blogs (but I missed that the most)
Deal-a-day websites
Web surfing

But I struggled a lot when I was forced to live without:
Email
Online banking
Online primary helps

And yet I survived. Barely.

So. How have we been? We're good. I'd lose a finger typing all that has happened in my absence so a short summary of the high points will have to do.

We went on walks. Gwenna and I shopped a lot since I am the last mom in the history of the world to figure out the importance of shopping one season and one year ahead. We rented a van and fell in love. We went to Utah. We surprised my best friend from high school. We watched Chuck three weeks in a row for the first time in a long time, something that is far more signicifant to me than anyone else. We rearranged the house. We welcomed some sprouts. We build a desk. We tried to watch "Tron" and failed, thankfully. We welcomes Gwenna's first two teeth, happily said goodbye to her first double ear infection, and are still awaiting the second two teeth that daily make my life semi-hellacious. Ted set up volunteer rotations with a county health clinic one day a week in his continued pursuit to save the world.

Not that any of that is really important. But now you're up to speed.

Overall things are good and we're happy.
Content.
Anticipating.

Except for today. Today is kinda bad.

Sometimes we just have bad days and they're normally Wednesdays. After having Ted home for Sunday, Monday, and Tuesdays (when he's not engaged in his pursuits to save the world), Wednesday is a total let down. From 6:10 until 8:57 today, Gwenna cried. Ok, not constantly. She stopped long enough to eat and to trick me into thinking some of my solutions and schemes were working. But it's been pretty constant.

And just when I thought I understood why people shake their babies (not really, but you get the gist) I placed the princess in her crib and retreated to my room to pray. For patience, for understanding, for calm, for an increase of love, for a toothless child ... ok, that last part was a joke.

And just when I thought it didn't matter whether I prayed or not, at approximately 8:57, she fell asleep. She just cried herself out. Not surprising, really, she'd been going at it for just shy of three hours.

And when I sat down to blog I didn't really care about the past however many dozens (hundreds?) of days my computer was away being repaired. Rather, I started thinking of this precious girl I've been entrusted with. Sometimes she drives me up the wall. But most of the time she doesn't. Most of the time I am in awe at her growth, her progress, her cheerful disposition, her generosity, and how much I learn from her. Wasn't it supposed to be the other way around?

And while I really would have liked to give an account of the past thousand days I've been without a computer, it's not really important. Because right now, while Gwenna sleeps and I regoup, I need to instead think of this:


Baby kisses. Few things better.

And this:


Because she had no idea it was there and I laughed really hard.

And this:


This most precious little girl, stuffed full of energy, curiosity, beauty, and love.

And now I remember how much I love her.

My mom once said it's a good thing they don't come out teething because you have to bond with them and really love them before you can tolerate this kind of behavior.

But more than any of that, really, I need to take a shower. If you think this blog post stinks, it's not the writing or photography. It's the author.

8 comments:

Heather said...

I wish I had something clever to say, but I don't. So I'll just say that I like this, and I'm glad you're back. :)

Candace said...

I have definitely felt your frustration AND understanding of why people shake their babies! Good Mom's EVERYWHERE, who LOVE their babies more than anything....occasionally get so frustrated they feel like throwing them across the room. But they don't. Glad you're back!

Erin said...

I SO loved this post. I needed it today. Ellie has been crying for 3 days. You'd think she was teething, but she already has 8 so I can't imagine she's already working on #9. My mom always told me that if I get too frustrated with a crying baby, just go put them in their crib before you do something crazy. And it worked for you! I'm so glad that she fell asleep.

So happy that you're back!

Christi said...

I have 2 words for you, teething tablets and motrin. (Okay, that was 3) It IS frustrating! I feel for you! It DOES get better (The whole teething thing) so good luck with everything!!

kelly said...

Erin, I've gotten that same advice and every time I've done it Gwenna has fallen asleep. I think it's been three times now in the past 8 months but I'll take it!

Christi, your advice is kind but unnecessary as Gwenna was under the influence of the blessed tablets already. Sometimes they work for her, sometimes they don't. Pity, eh?

Amy Sprinkle said...

Your comment about a toothless baby reminded me of the story of your brother in law's "flying teeth" when he was picking too much on your husband. It made me laugh inside.

The Browns said...

POPSICLES!!! Let her suck on popsicles! They're yummy and and cold! Welcome back to the blogging world! I can NOT believe you are dissing Tron. Grrr...let the fur fly. How was Camp Wannaplay? Was it oodles of fun? Did Gwenna LOVE the squishy floor? I'm sad I missed...le sigh!

'Garrett's mom' said...

Thank you for this post. You made me smile, laugh and I sent a prayer out to you that Gwenna feels better and you hold your sanity and patience. Glad you are back!!