Wednesday

Randoms + A Recipe

Yesterday was Gwenna's 2 month doctor appointment. She rocked it. I purposely scheduled her appointment for a day Ted was off work (thanks for your experiences to inspire me, Erin) and having Ted there for the stabbing fest ("immunization" they call it) made it run very smoothly. She didn't even seem to care that they only had Go Diego and Spiderman band aids left. She's a trooper.

Miss Gwenna is 10 pounds even and 23 inches long. That makes her kind tall and kinda skinny for her age group. That's a new concept for both Ted and me. That also means she can almost use her height chart from Aunt Niki that starts at 2 feet. Woo hoo!

I'm going to clear something up relating to Buddy. Buddy is still as good as he ever was... and take that for what it's worth. Buddy is simply less integrated because he's not Gwenna. We still love him and we're working on being better parents to *both our children* and not just the human one. We may have given birth to Gwenna, but we are also responsible for Buddy by our continued choice. We're getting better. But Mary Anne quoted my heart when she asked if this was a "Lady and the Tramp" situation. It is. Don't know what I'm talking about? You need to watch the movie.

Did I tease my three readers (oh, and I love you each!) with the mention of a recipe? Well, it's awesome. I got it from Rachael Ray and if that turns you off right away (CASEY!... you know, or anyone) just stick with me because I NEVER stick to a recipe and, let's face it kids, I make it good.

**********

Black Bean Burritos with Fire Roasted Tomatoes

Minute brown rice, prepared with:

½ cup chicken stock or broth

½ cup water

1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil

½ of 1 red onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon cumin

1 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes, diced

2 14-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed

4+ tortillas

1 cup cheese of your choice, shredded

1/2 head iceberg lettuce, chopped

2 scallions (green onions), white and green parts, thinly sliced

1/2 bunch (about a handful) of cilantro leaves removed from stems

Sour cream

Two pans: in the first warm your olive oil. Add the onion and garlic. In the second, you’re your rice. Haven’t tried Minute brown rice? It’s wonderful. You can also use your favorite brown rice.

Once your onions are soft, add the chili powder. Give it a good stir to spread the goodness. Add the cumin. Stir about the goodness. Add your tomatoes. I promise you will not regret using fire-roasted tomatoes over regular diced tomatoes. I’ve found them at both Safeway and Fry’s. so add the maters and let them cook a minute or two.

Add your black beans. Make sure they are rinsed well but also give them a little time to drain. No extra water is needed here.

I know that sounds silly in its simplicity, but it’s so good. Layer it up. About ¼ cup of rice, half a cup of bean mixture, cheese ( because the heat of the beans will melt it), lettuce (you can also use cabbage), cilantro, green onion, and sour cream. If you like lime, a little squirt somewhere in the mix would be great.

**********

This fed Ted and me for dinner and lunch the next day and I still had about 1 burrito left over. We had 2 each for dinner. Depending on your appetites, this can feed 4-6 people. I spend about $5 on this meal on the beans, tomatoes, cilantro, and lettuce. I already had everything else because they’re staples in my kitchen.

I recommend tortillas that you have to cook. We get our’s at Sam’s Club and they taste so fresh. Mostly because they are.

I hope you try this out and I hope you love it. Let me know. ... I have another recipe to post later this week, possibly early next week that was spectacular and also VERY economical. ... When Ted and I were living on two incomes we hadn’t felt the pull of a sliding economy in the slightest. Now that we’re living on one income, we’re being really careful to be even smarter with our money. I was afraid that meant our culinary endeavors would be thwarted and I really enjoy cooking for my family and friends. But with a little bit of research and only a little more effort, our taste buds are still living the good life!


Ew, formatting errors! I love blogger... I hate blogger... I love blogger ...

2 comments:

Craig & Lisa said...

I want to come to your house for leftovers! That looks SOOOO GOOD! Way to be a great cook for your family.

Thanks for the note on the blog. I will have to come over soon. Gwenna keeps growing faster than I can keep up with. Would you do something about that?

--Lisa Kay

Casey said...

Alright, well I may not trust Rachael, I certainly trust you, so I will give it a go. At least I recognize all the ingredients in this one!! I'll give you a report :)