Thursday

Reasons Not to Live on the Moon


5 Reasons I love Chicago:

1. Food. Unless you go to Chicago, you won't understand this. If you do go, and you happen to go during Taste of Chicago, you will not only understand this, you will excrete this truth from your pores.

2. Family. A lot of my family lives in the Chicagoland area. If I'm in Chicago, we regularly meet up for food. It's a given. We talk about family things and we reminisce and we laugh. Mostly we eat.

3. Diversity. This also might have something to do with food, but I mean the diversity of people. So different from the middle class white Arizona I know. Not that there's not a lot of middle class white in Illinois, there is. Mixed with a whole lot of other.

4. Weather. Illinois has weather. I don't feel that many parts of Arizona experience the full scope of weather that you are able to enjoy in Chicago ... Now if I could just get out there in the spring or fall and avoid the excess of winter....

5. Things to do. There's always something to do in Chicago and not all of it costs money. I am a big advocate of window shopping. The inspiration is priceless.

5 Reasons I Hate Chicago:

1. Smog. It's gray there a good part of the year. Some of it is clouds, but some of it is smog. Yuck. I tend to wonder how a large portion of Chicago vehicles pass emissions.

2. Argo Corn Products. I hate driving past this plant. They make things out of corn. I like corn, I eat corn, I especially prefer roasted corn on the cob, the kind you get a a carnival or from a street vendor. But Argo Corn Products make ethanol or something nasty like that and it smells. Bad. Really, really bad.

3. Surly Drivers. ... Mostly the fact that if you want to get around you have to be one. If I lived in Chicago, I would utilize public transportation much more. Ted became a surly driver while in Chicago and I told him he had to relinquish the tendencies once we returned home. He has... mostly.

4. Lack of Dog. Buddy doesn't live in Chicago. He can't come with us, either. I miss him terribly when I'm in Chicago. So much so that he's spoiled with longer walks and more treats for about a week after we get home.

5. You Age Faster. Chicago causes people to age faster. This is because of the high property taxes, price of gas, smog, too much good food (sadly), and lack of sun in the winter. My dad passed away at 53. We went to Chicago to take care of his affairs and plan and carry out plans to lay him to rest. It was hard but it's a good experience overall, other than the obvious sad parts. But he's not the only one. Everyone out there gets the flu a lot and they cough a lot.

Chicago is a wonderful place to visit and reminds me of Kermit's song.

So if I should visit the moon
Well, I'll dance on a moonbeam and then
I will make a wish on a star
And I'll wish I was home once again
Though I'd like to look down at the earth from above
I would miss all the places and people I love
So although I may go I'll be coming home soon
'Cause I don't want to live on the moon
No, I don't want to live on the moon

4 comments:

Amy said...

Well, I'm glad you're back in Flagstaff and can get back to normalcy. We love you guys!

Kevin & Bethany said...

Do I live in a box? All I know is Mesa/Queen Creek, AZ. :)
I'm glad you enjoyed your time there! Do you enjoy living in Flag??

Kevin & Bethany said...

I voted. How exciting! That baby better cooperate. It's so fun seeing the baby for the first time. Kevin KNEW it was going to be a girl. I, on the other hand, thought it was going to be a boy. Good luck!!
Cindy Meschede was my mentor teacher at RMHS. She was great.

KaLee said...

Taste of Chicago!!! YAY!!! Oh, and hi Kelly! I love your blog!